Frequently Asked Questions

Where will I go for academic advising?

You will be able to meet with academic advisors at both institutions. Your TAMU-CC academic advisors are located in the TAMU-CC University College in the Faculty Center.  Del Mar College academic advisors are located in the Harvin Center in the Student Enrollment Center.

How will I set up my class schedule(s)?

Incoming VIP students will register for courses during New Student Orientation, Islander Launch at TAMU-CC. Academic advisors from both institutions will make appropriate course recommendations. Factors that influence suggested courses include: Core Curriculum requirements, previously-earned college credits (such as AP credits), choice of academic major, exam scores such as TSI/SAT/ACT or Math Placement Exams, prerequisite limitations, and course availability.

VIP students must coordinate their class schedules between the two institutions to avoid time conflicts. The goal is to minimize transitions between campuses. Many students have found that a Monday/Wednesday/Friday class schedule at TAMU-CC and a Tuesday/Thursday schedule at Del Mar College (or vice versa) is most efficient. If such a schedule is not possible, you may need to have classes on both campuses on the same day. If so, you should try to schedule one campus in the morning and the other in the afternoon to minimize transitions. Always allow at least one hour between classes (for commuting and parking) when you change campuses during the day.

How will my financial aid be awarded?

All financial aid for eligible VIP students is disbursed by the TAMU-CC Office of Financial Aid (http://osfa.tamucc.edu/index.html).  Thanks to a consortium formed by TAMU-CC and Del Mar College, eligible students receive financial aid based on their combined enrollment at both institutions.

Where will I go for New Student Orientation?

In preparation for your transition into college and your first semester as a VIP student, both institutions will offer an orientation program.

Orientation registration sites are as follows:

TAMU-CC:                           http://orientation.tamucc.edu/index.html

Del Mar College :               http://www.delmar.edu/becoming-a-viking/launch/orientation.html

Where will I eat?

You may want to wait until you know where you will live, and what your class schedule will be, before you decide on meal arrangements. Students living in the TAMU-CC Miramar Housing are required to purchase a meal plan, but any student may purchase a plan regardless of where they reside. The meal plan will be linked to your student ID card and can be used in all University dining locations.

There is a food court on the Del Mar College campus, but it is not part of TAMU-CC Dining Services. Students should evaluate where they will be at meal times before deciding on any meal plan to purchase. Visit the dining websites for details.

Can I apply for on-campus housing at TAMU-CC?

Yes, VIP students are eligible to apply for on-campus housing. Housing applications will not be accepted until you have been admitted. Housing assignments are on a first-come first-serve basis.

Will I be able to join a sorority or fraternity at TAMU-CC?

Yes: Collegiate Panhellenic Council (CPC) sororities

Yes: Multicultural and National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) organizations

Yes: Fraternities (Interfraternity Council Organizations)

If I run into a problem in a course, will I be able to drop the course?

Yes, you may drop a course at Del Mar College or TAMU-CC, but there are deadlines for dropping courses at each institution. (Consult the Del Mar College and TAMU-CC academic calendars.) If you drop a course you may fall behind schedule and need to make up those credits in summer school or subsequent semesters. Never drop a course without first consulting an academic advisor!

Do I have to have a certain grade point average (GPA) at both Del Mar College and TAMU-CC every semester?

No, it is your cumulative GPA that is most important. It is easier to maintain a high GPA each semester rather than trying to raise it late in the program.

What happens if I fall short of the VIP program’s academic requirements?

Many VIP students strive to transition before the two term VIP program ends. Students who have not transitioned to degree-granting majors by the end of the program may be able to gain readmission into majors (as returning former students), subject to current readmission policies.

What tuition and fees do I have to pay?

You will have to pay all required tuition and fees (separately) at both institutions. The payment of fees made to each institution must meet the respective institution’s deadline. Both institutions drop courses if payment deadlines are missed.

Many VIP students are able to qualify for financial aid based on the combination of courses at Del Mar College and TAMU-CC. The TAMU-CC Financial Aid Office disburses aid to eligible VIP students. The final Del Mar College payment deadline sometimes occurs prior to financial aid having been disbursed, nevertheless each student is responsible for meeting the payment deadline.

May I take classes during the summer at TAMU-CC and/or Del Mar College?

Yes. Students do not have to be co-enrolled at both schools during the summer. The maximum semester credit hour enrollment for Summer I and II sessions is 7 at Del Mar College and 7 at TAMU-CC. The maximum combined enrollment limit for VIP students in summer school is 14 semester credit hours.

May I manage a part-time job while attending college?

We recommend you limit work commitments until you meet the academic requirements of the VIP program.

Will I be able to participate in NCAA sports?

No. Due to national regulations only students fully enrolled at an institution are eligible to represent that team in NCAA sports.

Will I be able to participate in Sport Clubs?

You may be able to participate in sport clubs. All sport clubs are associated with National Governing Bodies, and may require full-time status at one school. Please contact the sport clubs office or the club directly for specific information. Any student can participate in intramurals.